Announcing the winners of the 2015
Mario Fratti - Fred Newman Political Play Contest!
Winning plays will receive staged readings at the Castillo Theatre. The 2015 Contest is now closed to further submissions.
Monday August 3 at 7:00 PM
Written by Jack Karp • Directed by Mary Beth Easley
As World War II grinds on, scientist Robert Oppenheimer and his brother Frank are doggedly developing the first nuclear bomb. A bitter controversy surrounds the new weapon and the two men whose lives are torn apart in a battle between conscience and ambition
Monday August 10 at 7:00 PM
Written by Azure D. Osborne-Lee • Directed by Imani
Set in the sleepy Mississippi town of Etheridge in the summer of 1960, Mirrors depicts the lives of three African-American women bound by love and loss and family, and the secrets of their shared past.
Attention political playwrights: Call for entries
MARIO FRATTI - FRED NEWMAN POLITICAL PLAY CONTEST 2017
The Castillo Theatre sponsors the Mario Fratti-Fred Newman Political Play Contest and reading series bi-annually. The contest is intended to encourage the writing of progressive plays that engage the political/social/cultural questions affecting the world today and/or historical events and issues that impact on our communities.
The contest encourages scripts that experiment with form and seek new ways of seeing and new ways of experiencing theatrical performance. Castillo welcomes scripts from all countries and cultures.
The plays submitted to the Fratti-Newman Political Play Contest may be written in any style, set in any historical time, geographic or imaginary location, contain any number of characters and be of any length. The plays must be in English and cannot be musicals or adaptations. No scripts will be considered that have previously been submitted to this contest, have received a production or won other contests. Only one script per playwright per year will be accepted.
The contest is judged by a team of distinguished theatre artists. The winning script(s) will receive a reading at the Castillo Theatre in New York City during the theatre’s 2017 summer season.
All scripts should be submitted in hard copy and must be accompanied by:
- a statement of the political/social/cultural questions that the script engages (scripts with no accompanying statement will not be considered)
- a brief synopsis
- a character breakdown, including gender, age and ethnic requirements, if any
- a 100-word biography of the playwright
- a current email address
- Receipt of script will be acknowledged via email.
- Scripts will not be returned.
- Castillo does not give critical feedback to playwrights/contestants.
- Contest winners are required to sign a letter of agreement, which will include, but not be limited to, granting the right for Castillo to produce one or more readings and/or a full production of the winning play.
- Contest winners are responsible for travel expenses or any other expenses incurred as a result of participating in the development of the play with Castillo, or as a result of attending the reading and/or production.
All scripts must be postmarked by July 1, 2016. The winner(s) will be publicly announced at the Otto René Castillo Awards for Political Theatre in New York City in May of 2017.
Send all submissions to:
543 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036
Attn: Fratti-Newman Political Play Contest
Questions and inquiries should be addressed to Madelyn Chapman at 212-356-8485 or firstname.lastname@example.org.